We’re excited to announce that our EFR32xG22 (xG22) family has officially hit the market! The new SoCs raise the bar for IoT wireless connectivity, delivering an optimized combination of energy efficiency, wireless performance, security features and software stacks to enable high-volume, battery powered IoT products. The xG22 family has something for everyone – supporting Bluetooth Low Energy (LE), Proprietary and Zigbee wireless protocols – and addresses core customer needs, including price targets. When we say these SoCs are “industry-leading,” we mean it. In fact, EFR32BG22 (BG22) was recently awarded Embedded World 2020 Best in Show by Embedded Computing Design!
xG22 SoCs feature exceptional energy efficiency, enabling devices to operate on a coin cell battery for up to ten years, combined with best-in-class radio performance. This market-leading IoT wireless connectivity solution is achieved by combining ultra-low transmit and receive power (3.5 mA TX at 0 dBm, 2.6 mA RX) and a high-performance, low-power Arm® Cortex®-M33 core (27 µA/MHz active, 1.2 µA sleep). See below for additional highlights:
- Supports data transfer, location services (Angle-of-Arrival and Angle-of-Departure) and Bluetooth mesh.
- Target applications include asset tracking tags, Bluetooth mesh low-power nodes, smart door locks, healthcare and fitness devices.
- Built-in 32kHz sleep clock that can be used to replace an external 32kHz crystal to optimize size and bill of materials.
You’re invited to join our upcoming hands-on virtual Bluetooth workshop to learn how to develop and deploy ultra-low-power, secure Bluetooth connectivity with the new EFR32BG22 SoC.
- Designed to enable battery-powered, high-volume connected IoT products in retail, commercial and industrial markets.
- Innovative low-power features such as RFSense extend the operational life of products with limited battery or energy harvesting options including those used by electronic shelf labels and industrial wireless sensor nodes.
- Ideal for enabling Zigbee end devices and Zigbee Green Power devices powered by coin cell batteries or through energy-harvesting sources.
- The Zigbee Green Power standard decreases the amount of data required for a given wireless transmission through compression and optimization techniques, thereby reducing the energy required to send a message across a network by a device.
- Target applications include smart home sensors, lighting controls, and building and industrial automation.
We're also making new development kits available to help get you to market quickly:
- Thunderboard BG22 is a small form-factor, optimized evaluation and development board for adding Bluetooth connectivity to battery-powered IoT products with cost-effective and feature rich development peripherals, making it an ideal tool for starting development of battery-powered Bluetooth LE products. Thunderboard BG22 ships with a ready to use Bluetooth demo that works with an iOS or Android smartphone, showcasing the easy collection of environmental and motion sensor data. A built in SEGGER J-Link debugger is also included to enable easy debugging through the USB Micro-B connector.
- xG22 Wireless Starter Kit (WSTK) supports Bluetooth, Zigbee and Proprietary wireless development and includes everything developers need to evaluate BG22, FG22 and MG22 SoCs and create a connected product. The WSTK includes two +6 dBm radio boards that are complete reference designs for EFR32xG22 Wireless SoCs (with matching network and PCB antennas for +6 dBm output power in the 2.4 GHz band) and an onboard J-Link debugger with a Packet Trace Interface and a Virtual COM port, enabling application development and debugging of the attached radio board and external hardware.
Explore the Next Generation of IoT Wireless Connectivity: BG22 | FG22 | MG22