I can't get any connection to a Busy Bee device through Simplicity Studio. Here's the setup:
Simplicity Studio v4
SI USB Debug Adapter
Target Board - custom - very simple, it's a breadboard with 3.3V regulator, 22uF bypass capacitor for microcontroller, 1k pull up resistor on pin 7.
USB Adapter Pin 4 <-> Micro Pin 8 (C2D)
USB Adapter Pin 7 <-> Micro Pin 7 (reset / C2CK)
USB Adapter Pin 9 <-> Target board gnd
In Simplicity Studio, I've gone to Debug -> Run -> Connect Configurations. Selected the USB adapter and correct micro. Try to make a connection, and I get 'Failed to connect' TCF 131073. I also tried auto-detect without success. I checked the reset line with a scope, and it never goes low.
The project does build, but I can't connect.
Been reading forums and docs all day, no luck so far.
Also, I swapped the microcontroller. It's on a breakout board. And the Debug adapter is new.
Are you saying there is only a 22uF capacitor on VDD and no 100nF?
Hi. We also use the EFM8 micro in our designs. Initially we took the C2 lines from our Silabs kit and mated onto our custom PCB which worked ok. After this validation, we wrote our own C2 programming code to allow for code changes when our design is out in the field. All is working well. From our experience, we found the cable lengths to be important - keep them short as possible.
Do you have access to an original Silabs EFM8 kit of any type? If yes, review the activity on the C2 pins for that kit to compare against your custom PCB and wiring.
As you run the Silabs tools using the USB C2 tool, you must see some activity on C2D / C2CK. Do you? Also check for this activity on pin 6 of your USB C2 tool while running the programming s/w.
You noted the use an external 3v3 LDO regulator & 22 uf - are you sure the LDO is friendly with the cap you have applied? That is, not all LDO regulators are friendly with ceramic caps for example. Be sure of this - seen this issue and can cause oscillations at the LDO output. The datasheet for your device can confirm if electrolytics or ceramics should be used for your LDO.
To have clarity on your connections, can you post the relevant schematic for your design?
A suggestion is to forget the external USB C2 box for now and consider to steal the same signals from a working EFM8 kit - review how the jumpers / bypass connections must be applied to use an external micro (EFM8) and your kit.
For our custom PCIe to C2 interface, we applied GPIO pins to the C2 interface as per AN124 (pin sharing; figure 3.1) and did insert the series resistors but we found the results were better for us to NOT have the 1K pull-up. We did not use the same C2 USB tool as you are using to program the EFM8. However, for the external C2 USB tool, the 1K PU is required for a voltage sense.
So our design
is 4k7 -> then 1k PU to 3v3 -> 4k7 in series with our PCIe GPIO pin for C2CK. For us, we had better results without the 1k PU but we are not using the C2 USB tool. For production, we have removed the 1K PU.
is 4k7 -> 4k7 in series with our PCIe GPIO pin for C2D.
These debuggers do not like USB hubs or USB 3.0 controllers on some motherboards, in my experience. Whenever I have a debugger issue which involves zero activity on the C2CK/RESET line, it is usually USB-related -- not target-related.
You can look at the Adapter Pack console for clues. Here's what a bad USB setup will do:
Notice the blank target interface parameter.
If you were using a J-Link, I'd also remind you to stop Altium Designer's automatic device discovery feature, if you have that program installed, as it produces similar symptoms.
Thanks all for your comments.
Funkathustra, I am indeed getting that message on the console. I ran a firmware reset utility for the adapter. I also tried connecting with the older SI IDE. The firmware update completes, but it seems that neither IDE can communicate with the adapter.
The older IDE produces this message
"Detected un-supported target revision.
Please download a new version of the Silicon Laboratories IDE from www.silabs.com
or contact your sales representative for an upgrade."
Ah ha. I'm a silly pants. There were opens on the connector between the adapter and the breadboard. I fixed that, and I'm getting communication now.