BLE SW Update Tool will read the module information, such as module type (device type), license key, MAC address, etc, and save that information on the PC before firmware update. The information can be used to recover the module later in case the communication between BLE SW Update Tool and the module fails in the midway of firmware update.
If you see an error message on BLE SW Update Tool, you can click [Recover] to try to recover the module with the stored data. Note you may need to reset the module and/or cc-debugger and make sure the connection between the module and the cc-debugger is good. Furthermore, you also need to make sure the power stable is stable before you try.
Error message examples:
If "recover" does not work, you can try to manually recover the module. The following is the procedure:
1. Run TI's Flash Program and read the primary address (= serial number) and secondary address (= MAC address). Reference:
Note: If Flash Programmer can't make a connection to the module, this could be hardware problem, e.g. the connection between the module and cc-debugger.
2. Request the license key of the module by providing the primary address (= serial number) at https://siliconlabs.force.com/home/home.jsp You can also ask for a new secondary address (MAC address) or you can also copy the primary address to the secondary address if the module is your internal testing only.
3. Rewrite the secondary address (MAC address) to the module. For the details, please refer to
4. Close Flash Programmer and Run BLE SW Update Tool. Click [Delete recovery information] and confirm it.
5. Copy and paste the license key to [License key] input box (do not copy the carriage return character).
6. Select the desired BGScript project file (*.bgproj) and click [Update] button
7. Click [Info] button to check
Note: Unfortunately, the Device Type can't be recovered by this mothed. However, the module can still run without any problem with UNKNOWN device type.