The carrier board design and the placement of the module strongly determine the module's antenna performance. In order to achieve the possible best RF performance the layout guidelines described in the module datasheet must be carefully followed.
Additionally, here are some highlights in regards to the module placement recommendations below.
- Place the module in the corner of the carrier board.
- If placing the module in the corner is not possible then place the module at the carrier PCB edge and ensrue an at least 20 mm copper clearance keep-out area from the module antenna.
- If the module is not being placed at the carrier board edge then the antenna gets de-tuned even if copper clearnace area is also ensured to the top direction from the antenna.
- So, placing the module exactly to the corner or board edge of the carreir PCB is essential.
- Also, try to avoid having any material in the close proximity (~ a few mm) of the module antenna. For metal material this minimum clearance is even higher, like 10-20 mm.