Though there are long periods where we can program and debug our custom Si1060 device using the IDE and the USB Debug Adapter, the IDE will occasionally complain that that configuration is "an supported device." Sometimes resetting the UDA (c:\SiLabs\MCU\Utilities\USB Reset\*.exe) solves the problem and sometimes restarting the IDE fixes it. On other occasions we've spent an hour or more trying various things with no success.
I think it would help greatly if there were a way to get more information about why the IDE is giving up. Is the debug adapter (or the eval kit) working properly? Is the C2 bus working properly? What is the IDE seeing (or not seeing) that leads it to believe it's not talking to a Si1060? How would I find out what if anything our hardware is doing to mess things up?
Do you configured the debugger correctly?
You could configure with menu
you could see the adaptor is detected and the checkbox could be checked for UDA debugger.
Thanks Weiguo, I check that dialog regularly. It's usually pointing to the UDA even when there are problems.
Answered my own question eventually: I had intended to install a current sense resistor on the low side (between tag ground and UDA ground) but by mistake connected it between UDA ground and SDA on the tag (a custom PCB housing an Si1060). There was no proper ground connection to the tag until I corrected the problem. Smooth sailing since then.
I like low side current sensing for oscilloscope use because I can use the same ground connection for observing any other signals. Of course the current sense voltage is negative, but that's a small price to pay for flexibility.