What are the general layout suggestions for RF board design?
Here are some layout hints that are suggested to follow for nay kind of RF board designs.
- use as large and continuous GND metallization as possible on all layers
- use plenty of GND stitching vias on the enrite PCB, especially at the board and GND metal pouring edges.
- do not route traces at the board edges
- place the high frequency crystal close to the RF chip
- connect the crystal case to GND
- use short VDD traces
- if possible, shield the VDD traces by ground metallization (with vias) from both sides
- put the matching network as close to the RF chip as possible to minimize the parasitics in the RF-FE match and avoid de-tuning
- make sure that there are many GND vias on the RF chip's exposed pad
- further recommendations are in the layout-related application notes.