I have received my Z-Wave 700 Beta Developer Kit. The UZB7 Controller Stick is not recognized by neither the PC Controller nor the Z/IP Gateway. How do I flash a Serial API image on to it?
The UZB7 in the Beta Developer Kit is delivered with only a bootloader and no Serial API firmware. The UZB7 cannot be used with the Z/IP Gateway until a Serial API firmware has been uploaded.
To upload firmware to the UZB7 perform the following steps:
1. The Serial API firmware binaries for the ZIP Gateway are distributed via Simplicity Studio. The binaries are situated in the directory containing all the precompiled files. The file must have extension GBL and file name must contain EFR32FG14P. The default directory is:
2. Install a Terminal program capable of XMODEM binary transfers must be installed on the computer used. For Windows, TeraTerm is highly recommended. It can be downloaded from https://osdn.net/projects/ttssh2/releases/ .
3. Plug the UZB7 into the computer and note the name of the newly appeared serial port. On Windows, this will be something like “COMXX”, where XX is a number.
4. Start the terminal program and connect to the COM port determined above. Baud rate is 115200 bps. In TeraTerm, go to Setup -> Serial Port Setup and choose the COM port and baud rate.
5. Press enter in the terminal program and a menu with 3 options will appear.
6. Choose option 1 by pressing “1”.
7. Now ‘C’s will appear in the terminal as an indicator that the bootloader is ready for XMODEM transfer. Start the transfer in the Terminal program and choose the GBL file from step 1. In Tera Term, go to File -> Transfer -> XMODEM -> Send… and choose the GBL file from step 1.
8. Wait for the transfer to finish. Press ‘2’ to activate and run the firmware.
9. Close the terminal program.
10. The UZB7 is now ready to be connected to a Z/IP Gateway 7.00.
Does the USB7 now come with the Serial API or is it still just a bootloader? I'm looking to use it with PC Controller.
Also I cannot seem to find a concrete answer on this, can the UZB-7 be switched between EU and US frequencies or once switched it cannot be switched back? (I see in the KB that PC Controller can switch the frequency but it didn't specify if it can switch frequencies outside the current region, e.g. EU to US and back)?
I have tried the above steps and got stuck on step 5, TeraTerm is not responding.
Using windows 10, and I can see that device has been recognized by windows but no activity.
What should I do?
I am having trouble getting the UZB7 to communicate with my serial terminal(TeraTerm). I tried every possible serial configuration but no luck. When I insert the UZB7 to the USB port, all I get in the serial monitor is 3 beeps with garbage strings. I cannot even enter any input from keyboard. Please help!!!
Here is an image of what I am getting in serial monitor when I plug in the UZB7:
Looks like your UZB7 already the SerialAPI in it and thus is a binary protocol. Details on the SerialAPI can be found here: https://www.silabs.com/documents/login/user-guides/INS12350-Serial-API-Host-Appl.-Prg.-Guide.pdf
You'll only get ASCII text if the Bootloader is running on the UZB7 and it doesn't have the SerialAPI firmware loaded into it.