Silicon Labs Trademark Use Guidelines
Please follow these guidelines when referring to Silicon Labs' trademarks
Silicon Labs may update these guidelines and the Silicon Labs Trademark List from time to time. Please contact us if you have any questions about Silicon Labs’ trademarks or you wish to report any abuse of Silicon Labs’ trademarks.
You may use Silicon Labs’ trademarks, product names, and other names in text to refer to Silicon Labs’ products, services and related technology only if you follow these guidelines and your use is accurate, fair and not misleading. Any goodwill generated by the use of Silicon Labs’ trademarks belongs exclusively to Silicon Laboratories Inc. (or its subsidiaries).
Please refer to the Silicon Labs Trademark List for the current list of Silicon Labs trademarks, including appropriate trademark symbols. The Silicon Labs Trademark List only contains word trademarks. We generally do not permit third parties to use Silicon Labs’ logos without written authorization from Silicon Labs. To obtain permission, logo files and logo usage guideline, please contact us.
Key Requirements for Correct Trademark Use
1. Trademark Symbol:
- Always use the correct trademark symbol (i.e. ™ or ®) with the first or most prominent appearance of the trademark in the body of text. The correct symbol is provided for each Silicon Labs trademark in the Silicon Labs Trademark List.
- You do not have to use trademark symbols in headlines unless there is no accompanying text, in which case you must use it.
- Use trademark symbols in superscript or subscript (i.e. ™ or ®). However, you may use parentheses (TM) and (R) where this is not possible.
- Do not use trademark symbols after any Silicon Labs product name, service name or technology name that is not a Silicon Labs trademark itself.
2. Approved Noun:
- Always use trademarks as adjectives, and never as nouns or verbs.
- CORRECT: “EFM32® Happy Gecko MCU family simplifies USB connectivity."
- INCORRECT: “That device has an EFM32 in it."
- Never use a trademark in the possessive or plural form. Your use will probably be incorrect if the sentence does not make grammatical sense without the trademark included in it.
- INCORRECT: “There are four EFM32s in that device.”
- INCORRECT: “EFM32’s performance is industry leading.”
3. Trademark Notice:
- Always include the correct trademark notice for Silicon Labs’ ownership of its trademarks in all materials. A correct trademark notice is stated in the Silicon Labs Trademark List.
4. Never alter Silicon Labs’ trademarks in any way:
- Do not alter the spelling or form of Silicon Labs’ trademarks by abbreviating them, creating acronyms, translating them, joining them to other words, symbols or numbers, or using improper capitalization. However, permitted capitalization occurs when using a Silicon Labs word trademark in headlines, titles or text where all of the surrounding words are shown in uppercase characters. In this situation, you may use the relevant Silicon Labs trademark in uppercase characters, provided that such use complies with these guidelines.
5. First use with the Silicon Labs trademark:
- Where specified in the Silicon Labs Trademark List, always use the relevant Silicon Labs trademark preceded by the Silicon Labs word trademark in first use, e.g. Silicon Labs® EZRadio®. You do not need to use the Silicon Labs trademark in each subsequent use of the relevant trademark.
Prohibited use of Silicon Labs’ trademarks
- Do not use any Silicon Labs logo without written authorization from Silicon Labs.
- Do not use inaccurate or misleading nouns after Silicon Labs’ trademarks. Silicon Labs’ trademarks are used for specific products and services.
- Do not use a Silicon Labs trademark, slogan or logo (or any part of a Silicon Labs trademark, slogan or logo) as part of another trademark, slogan, logo or other name. This includes but is not limited to a company name, trade name, product name, service name, technology name, standard, domain name, social media name or handle.
- CORRECT: “The EFM32® Wonder Gecko MCU utilizes the ARM® Cortex®-M4 processor.”
- INCORRECT: “Silicon Labs® ARM®-based products are designed for low energy applications.”
- Do not register a Silicon Labs trademark, slogan or logo (or any part of a Silicon Labs trademark, slogan or logo) either alone or as part of another trademark or other name. This includes, but is not limited to a company name, trade name, product name, service name, technology name, standard, domain name, social media name or handle.
- Do not use Silicon Labs’ trademarks more prominently than your own trademarks, company name, trade name, product name, service name or other name. You should distinguish such names visually from any Silicon Labs trademark or other name. Do not use Silicon Labs’ trademarks to disparage Silicon Labs’ products or portray Silicon Labs in a negative way.
- Do not use Silicon Labs’ trademarks in any manner that expresses or implies that Silicon Labs has any affiliation, sponsorship, endorsement, certification, or approval of your product, service or company.
- Do not use Silicon Labs’ trademarks in false or misleading advertising.
- Do not use Silicon Labs’ trademarks in connection with any defamatory, scandalous, pornographic, or other objectionable materials.
- Do not manufacture, advertise, sell, distribute or otherwise give away any merchandise items bearing any Silicon Labs trademark, logo or other name without an express written trademark license from Silicon Laboratories Inc.
- Do not imitate any element of Silicon Labs’ logos, trade dress or product packaging.
Using Silicon Labs as a trade name or company name
As well as being a trademark, Silicon Labs is also a trade name or company name referring to Silicon Laboratories Inc. (including its subsidiaries). When Silicon Labs is used as a trade name or company name, it should not be followed by a trademark symbol or an approved noun. Trade names and company names are nouns, so they may be used in the possessive form. The first reference to Silicon Labs as trade name or company name should be to "Silicon Laboratories Inc." (or the relevant Silicon Labs subsidiary name). Any subsequent reference to Silicon Labs as a trade name or company name can be “Silicon Labs”.
|First use: Silicon Laboratories Inc.designs semiconductors for Internet infrastructure, industrial control, consumer and automotive markets.||First use: Silicon Labs designs semiconductors for Internet infrastructure, industrial control, consumer and automotive markets.|
|Subsequent use: Silicon Labs’ devices are at the heart of the Internet of Things.||Subsequent use: Silicon Laboratories Inc.’s devices are at the heart of the Internet of Things.|
Silicon Labs Trademark List
The absence of any Silicon Labs trademark, product name, service name of any other name from this list does not constitute a wavier or Silicon Labs’ intellectual property rights.
Silicon Laboratories Inc.®
the world’s most energy friendly microcontrollers™
Graphical Live Watch™
Registered Trademarks (including the ® symbol): “______ is a registered trademark of Silicon Laboratories Inc. in the United States and other countries.
”Unregistered Trademarks (including the ™ symbol): “______ is a trademark of Silicon Laboratories Inc. in the United States and other countries.”