At work, I have a pretty good system: Win 8.1, i7-4770 3.4 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, but CCv5 works very problematic.
- sometimes freezes for a few seconds and minutes
- actions like opening a console or starting debugging sometimes take a very long time
- sometimes something "hangs" in the silink module and debugging does not start, only restarting the PC helps
- if I track large arrays in debugging, then debugging starts to work very "slowly"
Earlier you wrote that the problem is probably in old Eclipse components, but SSv5 has been around for half a year. Yes, the project generator started working quickly, but everything else works just as badly as in SSv4.
Other IDEs based on the eclipse and "clean" eclipse work very well on my system. The only problem is with SSv5.
Do you have any recommendations for optimizing SSv5 performance? Do you have any plans to optimize IDEs? This is definitely not the problem with the eclipse components.
I would say the main thing for overall optimization is not to have very many projects open in the Simplicity IDE Project Explorer and not to have very many files open in the Simplicity IDE Editor window.
As far as the debugger and the large array tracking - SSv5 includes Beta level support for the GDB debugger using the Segger GDB Server and a standard GNU ARM GDB client. Can you compare the debugger performance of GDB versus the Simplicity Studio Debugger? This can be enabled at [Preferences] > [Simplicity Studio] > [Debuggers] and select the 32-bit Debugger radio button [GNU Debugger (GDB)]. Then start a debug session by clicking the Debug icon and it should use the Segger GDB Server and GNU ARM GDB client.
One other thing that could speed up the debug startup time is to disable the auto-build of the project before launching the debugger. This is helpful if you make sure the project builds correctly before starting a debug session, if you rely on the auto-build before the debugger starts then it would not be helpful. So this is really personal preference on workflow. To disable the auto-build uncheck [Preferences] > [ Run/Debug] > [Launching] > [Build (if required) before launching] and hit [Apply and Close].
If there are any other actions that take a long time, please check if any background tasks are running at that time (like the Indexer) by checking the bottom right status of Simplicity Studio:
Otherwise please provide more details of what operation is taking a long time and what actions were taken before that operation.
I hope the above helps.
Thank you. In "Indexer" I disabling "Index source files not included in the build" and lowered "Abcolute limit". Then I closed unusing projects. Now IDE works faster.
I working with GDB debugger last two days, I did not find any freeze when looking at large arrays. While I see certain errors in the process of debugger, but hopefully over time all this will be fixed.