At Silicon Labs, we manage environmental matters as an integral part of our business by our commitment to:
- Designing, marketing and selling environmentally friendly products
- Continually improving our environmental performance and pollution prevention
- Complying with applicable legal and other requirements that relate to our environmental aspects
- Minimizing the negative environmental impact of our business activities
Green/Eco Partner Certification
Sony has certified Silicon Labs as a Green Partner, Samsung has certified Silicon Labs as an Eco-Partner.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions (Austin facilities)
Silicon Labs’ emissions of greenhouse gas (calculated in terms of CO2e) totaled approximately 4000 metric tons annually. The emissions are related to energy consumption. Our emissions are below Federal Greenhouse Gas reporting requirements (25,000 metric tons CO2e/year).
Ultra-Low-Power for a Greener Planet
As the use of electronic devices pervades every aspect of our lives, reducing power consumption — as well as product footprint and bill of materials (BOM) — begins with semiconductors. Energy-saving techniques designed in at the chip level can have a far-reaching impact on system-level power consumption. Silicon Labs leverages its mixed-signal expertise to design some of the industry’s smallest, most power-efficient integrated circuits, from microcontroller to digital isolator to wireless ICs.
In addition to providing energy-efficient control and connectivity solutions for personal medical devices, home security systems, and smart home applications such as in-home utility monitors, Silicon Labs has established leading market share in several emerging applications, including:
- Smart lighting offers consumers significant potential to save time and money:
- Smart lighting working in conjunction with a motion detector system can save consumers more than 35 percent of legacy bulb energy usage.
- Controlling light bulbs from smartphones allows consumers to remotely manage the on/off status of their bulbs to conserve energy.
- Almost all smart lights use LED bulbs, which not only use less energy than traditional incandescent lighting, but also last up to 25 times longer.
- Our ultra-low-power ICs and modules are being used to develop smart meters to help conserve electricity, gas and water. Great Britain implemented a program to roll out more than 100 million smart electricity and gas meters to over 30 million homes and small business by 2020, where Silicon Labs has majority market share. Smart meters enable the reduction of energy suppliers’ costs, increase competition in the market, and encourage consumers to pay more attention to the energy they use and reduce energy consumption.
- We are a leading supplier of digital isolation technology to the electric vehicle market, from battery management systems to on-board chargers to charging stations.
- Our ultra-low-power MCUs and SoCs extend battery life by up to 25 percent and enable portable devices to use fewer disposable batteries and reduce landfill waste.
When tomorrow's designs call for even lower power, SIlicon Labs will deliver the next wave of green energy.
Green Stewardship at Home
As an environmental steward, we strive to reduce our carbon footprint and protect the environment at each Silicon Labs location around the world. At our headquarters in Austin, Texas, we participate in Austin’s GreenChoice program, which allows us to purchase a significant portion of our energy needs from renewable sources. By buying green power from sustainable sources such as wind farms, we help reduce the environmental impact of consuming fossil fuels to generate electricity. We believe tapping green energy is a wise financial investment over the long term that may provide a hedge against rising fossil fuel prices.
And we strive to not only use the best energy resources available, but to also reduce our overall energy consumption. For example, we replaced high intensity office light fixtures in our Austin headquarters with LED lights; saving significant energy and reducing expenses which can then be reallocated to helping our community.
Our commitment to green energy goes hand-in-hand with our commitment to our home communities. For example, we were the first corporate partner for the City of Austin’s WasteSMART award. We also help fund Austin’s pedestrian trail projects and other park improvements, sponsor environmental education and outreach programs, and match employee contributions to environmental organizations. It’s all about giving back to the communities in which we live and work.
Energy and Water Usage
- Automatic lighting
- Low-power lighting
- Upgraded garage lighting
- Energy efficient appliances
- Chilled water for cooling
- Installed low-flow equipment
- Compliant with City of Austin Universal Recycling Ordinance
- Promote usage of reusable drinkware
- Replaced bottled water with reverse osmosis systems
- 30% of energy from wind and solar
Recognition & Community Involvement
- Platinum Level COA Green Partner Company
- Austin Energy GreenChoice Champion
- Austin Solid Waste Services “WasteSMART”
- Shoal Creek cleanup
- Austin Drive cleanup