Our Impact at Work
Sustainability is an integral part of everything we do. Silicon Labs is certified to ISO 14001:2015 with TUV Rheinland of North America. Environmentally-responsible practices are threaded throughout our everyday business operations, product design, technology investments, in both our own internal operations and our relationships with suppliers and customers.
As part of our efficient, insight-driven business operations, we consider productivity and efficiency gains as well as ways to ensure environmental best practices. Our environmental initiatives help us lessen the environmental footprint of our operations. These efforts include:
- Offering incentives and facilities to encourage use of mass transit, electric vehicles, carpools and cycling
- Purchasing electricity from renewable sources, recognized for exceeding EPA Green Power Partner requirements at our headquarters in Austin, TX
- Installing energy-friendly products, such as LED automatic lighting, low-flow water equipment, and chilled water AC systems
- Reducing, Reusing, Recycling – Real-time monitoring of electricity usage, recycling bins, reusable drinkware, battery and electronic disposal bins
- Adhering to high standards – EPA Green Power Partner and Platinum Austin Green Business Leader
- Global adoption of teleconferencing solutions in all sites to reduce unnecessary air travel
Discover how our products enable sustainable IoT solutions across home, medical, industrial, and commercial environments, including air pollution and waste management monitoring, water integrity, residential irrigation monitoring, street lighting networks, advanced metering infrastructure and building energy management.
Water usage is an important environmental measurement. We primarily use this resource for human consumption and hygiene purposes; therefore, our conservation efforts include low-flow bathroom facilities and reduced landscaping water usage. We do not use significant amounts of water for production or manufacturing.
Compliance (Product Safety)
Our quality and environmental teams are responsible for assuring the compliance of our products to environmental requirements and specifications and have direct contact with suppliers’ representatives. Product compliance and use of hazardous substances are continually addressed with Silicon Labs quality and environmental management systems extended to our suppliers through Silicon Labs Hazardous Substances Specification and ROHS/REACH requirements for suppliers, Silicon Labs also has requirements for non-use of other substances such as Antimony, PFOA, PFOS, Chlorine, Bromine, and other Phthalates.
As a confirmation of compliance with the requirements stated in the Hazardous Substances Specification, suppliers are annually required to provide a signed Supplier Declaration of Conformity to Silicon Labs. For further information please review our Certificate of ROHS compliance and Other substances. Individual certificates of compliance are available by specific part number in the corporate, product, and environmental data search tool. User instructions are available here
As a company, Silicon Labs has never had a product recall on safety due to hazardous materials or substances.
Conflict Minerals Policy: We are committed to complying with legislation regarding the reporting of the use of conflict metals. We require all suppliers to source from 3rd party audited Conflict-Free smelters, maintain a Conflict-Free sourcing policy and comply with our internal policy based on the OECD due diligence guidelines.
1. Silicon Labs requires all suppliers to source from 3rd party audited Conflict-Free smelters, maintain a Conflict-Free sourcing policy, and comply with our internal policy based on the OECD due diligence guidelines, including:
- Establishing strong management systems
- Identifying and assessing risks
- Managing risks
- Reporting on conflict minerals usage
2. Our suppliers have also signed a declaration that they comply with our internal substance management and reporting requirements which includes CMRT compliance.
3. Silicon Labs follows the OECD due diligence guidelines to identify and assess any risks that exist and then generate our CMRT (Conflict Minerals Reporting Template).
4. Our CMRT is available to customers in our website and is used to report our compliance to the US Securities and Exchange Commission annually.
Supplier Code of Conduct
We are committed to the highest standard of product quality and business integrity in our dealings with suppliers and ensuring working conditions in our supply chain are safe, that workers are treated with respect and dignity and that manufacturing processes are environmentally and socially responsible.
To ensure our relationships with suppliers meet and support these expectations, we require our suppliers to be ISO 14001:2015 certified and acknowledge and support the Responsible Business Alliance® (RBA) Code of Conduct. In selecting qualified suppliers we give preference to those that are socially and environmentally progressive. In addition, failure to comply with the RBA Code of Conduct standards and provisions may result in supplier disqualification.
As a member of the Responsible Business Alliance (RBA), Silicon Labs fully supports the vision and goals of the RBA:
Vision: A coalition of companies driving sustainable value for workers, the environment and business throughout the global supply chain.
Mission: Members, suppliers and stakeholders collaborate to improve working and environmental conditions and business performance through leading standards and practices.
Silicon Labs commits to comply to the RBA Code of Conduct in its own operations, progressively implementing the RBA approach and tools in the spirit of the industry’s common goals. In addition, we also encourage our first-tier suppliers to follow the RBA Code of Conduct standards and monitor its application to the best of our ability. Failure to comply with the RBA Code of Conduct standards and provisions may result in supplier disqualification.
For more information on our environmental sustainability efforts, visit our FAQ page.