Si114x Ultraviolet (UV) Index, Gesture, Proximity, and Ambient Light Sensor ICs
The Si114x is not recommended for new design. For new designs, please refer to the Si1153 Proximity and Ambient Light Sensor IC with I2C Interface.
The Silicon Labs Si114x optical sensors offer superior range and sensitivity while reducing power demands. The monolithic Si114x sensors integrate multiple photodiodes, an analog-to-digital converter, a signal processor, up to 3-LED drivers, and a digital I2C control interface into an impressively small 2 mm x 2 mm clear QFN package.
The optical sensor current estimator utility helps designers determine the current consumption of their application. Designers can specify whether proximity light sensing, ambient light sensing or both is needed in the application. Designers can choose their channels and view the estimated average current results in real time.
Capable of controlling one, two and three-LED systems, the sensors enable developers to implement proximity detection with a range more than 50 cm on multi-dimensional systems capable of advanced 2D/3D motion sensing, heart rate/pulse oximetry measurements, or cheek detection. The robust sensing architecture works in direct sunlight and includes an ambient light sensor capable of sensing light levels up to 128 kLux. The Si114x family is supported within the optical sensor software tools.
This low power sensing family enables long battery life with standby less than 500 nA and an average power of as little as 1.2 uA with once per second real-time UV Index measurements.
- Ultra-sensitive photodiodes with up to 3 independent LED drivers enable multiple functions
- Heart rate and blood oximetry measurements
- Over 50 cm proximity detection
- Advanced 2D and 3D gesture detection
- Cheek detection for handsets
- Ambient light sensor
- Enables accurate light level monitoring under mixed lighting
- Automatic backlight control for improved end user visual experience and reduced backlight energy
- Optional digital UV Index sensor
- Determine real-time UV sun exposure and cumulative UV sun exposure
- Low-power sensors, signal processor, and ADC enable long battery life
- As little as 1.2 µA average current with once per second UV Index measurements
- Innovative single-pulse proximity sensor minimizes on-time of IrLED to 25.6 µs – the primary energy consumer
- 9 µA average proximity sensing current (LED pulsed 25.6 µs every 800 ms at 180 mA plus 3 µA Si114x supply)
- Dynamic adjustment of LED currents minimizes power consumption and optimizes performance
- 1.7 to 3.6 V supply voltage
- < 500 nA standby current
- I²C interface for ease of communication with host MCU
- 0.1 to 128 kLux dynamic range enables operation in direct sunlight
- Minimum reflectance sensitivity of <1uW/cm2
- Tiny 2 mm x 2 mm clear QFN package
- Operating temperature: – 40 to 85 °C
Si114x Product Matrix
|Part Number||Data Sheet||Dev Kit||Description||UV Index||LEDs||Gesture/Motion Sensing||Ambient Light Sensor||Interface||Package Type||Package Size|
|Si1140DK||Proximity + Ambient Light Sensor||No||1||Motion Sensing||Yes||I2C||QFN10||2x2|
|Si1140DK||Proximity + Ambient Light Sensor||No||2||2D Gesture Sensing||Yes||I2C||QFN10||2x2|
|Si1140DK||Proximity + Ambient Light Sensor||No||3||3D Gesture Sensing||Yes||I2C||QFN10||2x2|